10 March 2007

Whoopi Goldberg reacts to breakfast show critics

Whoopi Goldberg has hit out at critics of her syndicated breakfast show in the US and told of her passion for radio in an interview with Billboard magazine.

Since August, Wake Up With Whoopi has been syndicated by Clear Channel across 12 major US radio stations.

But in her Billboard interview, Goldberg said some people had belittled her radio appearance as just a gimmicky flash in the pan.

"People have their idea of what celebrities are and, unfortunately, I'm kind of painted with a celebrity brush," she said.

"I've always held radio people in very high esteem. There's this small contingent out there that feels I've infringed on their space. I wasn't prepared for the negative, the nastiness."

Goldberg said satellite radio veteran Howard Stern had been one of the show's biggest detractors, until she wrote to him personally to complain.

"I've loved Howard Stern for years, but he made a comment on his show, and I wrote to him and said: 'I haven't worked in three years. Do you realise there is no safety net for me? You have satellite, but I didn't have anybody, so, yeah, I am glad to have a job, honey. What's the matter with you?'

"He went on air the next day and said: "You know what? I got a note from Whoopi, and I'm really glad she's doing this."

Some stations have seen an overall audience growth of more than 30 per cent since Goldberg's show began, according to figures from Arbitron.

No comments: