10 March 2007

Clyde 1 presenter sorry for 'racist' pop star remark

Clyde 1 presenter Nicola McLean has apologised after she called Samantha Mumba a "monkey" on Friday's breakfast show.

McLean, who co-presents the show with George Bowie, admitted the remark was foolish but insisted she was not a racist.

The remarks came about following an on-air discussion about who should replace Louis Walsh, who was dropped this week as a judge on reality TV show, The X-Factor.

The Irish singer and model Samantha Mumba (pictured) — whose career was launched by Walsh — was suggested as an alternative, but McLean said she thought Mumba "looked like a monkey".

McLean, who currently holds the title of Miss Scotland, issued a statement insisting she meant no harm with the off-the-cuff remark.

She said: "I was trying to be funny and I meant absolutely no harm, nor did I intend to offend anyone by this comment.

"I am new to this job and have learnt that sometimes flippant remarks can be perceived in a negative manner.

"There was no malice or premeditated thought here, just a simple mistake and for that I am truly sorry."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually do this, however I am compelled to comment that Miss Scotland adds nothing to George Bowie's morning show! The show has lost something since Nicola joined, she has a laugh that grates and really why is she there? What does she contribute? This isn't a sour grapes comment! Thank You M Moore

Anonymous said...

Well said M Moore. I'm the same - can't stand listening to Nicola's gruff voice, and the fact she keeps mentioning her "friend" Lois gets my back up no end, it's as if she wants the public to view her as popular & friendly.

I normally listen to Bowie at Breakfast in the morning, however I missed "Mumbagate" on Friday - was listening this morning though (Monday), switched on from 0830 - 0915, and there was no mention of Nicola - has she been (thankfully) fired off the show?

Cheers

Alex
Glasgow

Anonymous said...

You are both entitled to your opinion, however there seems to be a bigger majority that love miss scotland, And I am certainly one of them. She is a breath of fresh air to the show. Her comments about samantha mumba were certainly silly but they were in no way racist and I think it has been totally blown out of proportion. People should lay of Nicola and let her get on with things now. She has apologised for her remark and that should be the end of it. She Seems like a bubbly and friendly character and long may she continue to grace us with her presence on the air and in the maedia. Thankyou LCraik

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Lcraik Miss scotland is a friendly kind person who would do know harm to anyone, everyone is equal in her eyes, common sense should prevail here, read the comment in the context it was meant, You do not need a degree to work out that no racism was intented here. Thankyou Marie

Anonymous said...

I dont usually do this but I am compelled to comment. I have read all the utter rubbish printed over mumbagate, it is a travesty that the press have blown the the comment by miss scotland on radio clyde out of proportion. Get real people.
I listened to clyde the morning it happened and in no shape or form was it a racial slur. Innocent Banter.Thanks kath