06 March 2007

Resonance FM tells job applicant: Only a cretin would let you on the radio

An aspiring radio presenter who replied to a job ad for London community station Resonance FM wasn't expecting the station manager to email back asking: "Are you mentally deficient?"

Muthamma Prasad — who has an MA in broadcast journalism — pitched a show idea to Resonance FM after reading that the station was looking for new presenters.

She received a reply from station boss Richard Thomas saying: "I am not interested in your idea at all. Only a cretin would want you anywhere near a microphone and the mass media."

Prasad told The Sun: "This is a local radio station for Londoners but I felt like I was auditioning for X Factor - and, like many contestants, I was reduced to tears by it.

"His reply was beyond belief, especially as this guy gets public money from the Arts council and should be encouraging everyone to get involved."

Resonance FM programme controller Richard Thomas replied: "I have a very stressful job and was in a bad mood that day.

"I now accept I overreacted and accept my language was not appropriate. I am sorry."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007100501,00.html

No comments: