16 November 2006

Kelvin MacKenzie unveils new radio plans

Former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie has revealed more about his plans to make a return to radio.

MacKenzie, who sold his Wireless Group to UTV last year, is to launch an online sport radio station in the new year, according to a report in this week's Broadcast magazine.

thecommentator.com will stream for eight hours a day initially, with a view to becoming a 24-hour operation by the end of the year. MacKenzie told Broadcast he was not looking to compete with talkSPORT, although he was looking to secure commentary rights for some sporting events.

Speaking to Press Gazette's Rob McGibbon last month, MacKenzie said: "I want to make this new radio venture work. Making money is very enjoyable, but, strangely, creating things is more enjoyable.

"I noticed that when I was at talkSPORT, once we knew we were heading towards profitability, my ambition for the business [side of things] was not as intense."

Read the Broadcast report at http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk (subscription required) or the Press Gazette interview with Kelvin MacKenzie at http://www.robmcgibbon.com

No comments: